Monday, October 4, 2010

ADD on the YA Highway

Neil GaimanImage by photognome via Flickr
Great post on YA Highway this morning on how an ADD teen might receive your book.  It's too funny. Kristin Briana Otts compared the first lines or paragraphs of several classics like To Kill A Mockingbird, Brave New World and Jane Eyre for ADD friendliness and throws The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman into the mix as a comparison.  Her conclusion is no surprise...tight first lines may win you an agent, as well as teen readers down the road. Of course this is something that all YA writers know right?  But, hey an occasional reminder won't hurt.

Just so you know, Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book rated 10/10 ADD friendly!  I totally loved that book, whereas Jane Eyre only managed a 3/10 for ADD friendliness.  I never did get through that one (sorry all you Bronte fans, but I found it a bit tedious.  But I do like this new cover.  Hmmm, red shiny things...I wonder if that makes me ADD...


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: